With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Friday, February 24, 2006

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility?

During a road trip to Woodstock, NY I was driving up with a woman I was dating. Since I was driving I asked her to look for my camera in my knapsack. As she was rifling through my belongings she stumbled across my latest bank statement. As casually as putting on lip gloss she started leafing through the pages. I looked over and said with double my usual volume "Hey, that's not allowed."

She calmly put it away then gave me a hurt and insulted look. After ten minutes of silence she said "if you have the right to touch my breasts at will, I have the right to look at your financials." I said I don't think one has anything to do with the other. She said "You'd better think about it before you make that choice."

So let me ask you this - Does an intimate physical/emotional relationship necessarily lead to intimate financial exposure?

11 Comments:

  • At 6:32 AM, Blogger Tony said…

    Reading someone else's private correspondence without their permission is always out of order -- it doesn't matter how physically and emotionally intimate you are together. Furthermore, using sex as a bargaining chip reduces it to a commodity -- like prostitution.

     
  • At 6:40 AM, Blogger InternationalSwede said…

    Maybe some guys can now take the opposite approach and offer their bank statements in exchange for touching breasts!

     
  • At 7:02 AM, Blogger EE said…

    Sorry, Cass…
    If you are serious or semi-serious about a woman, money and financial stability are important to women whether they want kids or whether they have a good career or money of their own.
    How one manages their finances usually is an indication of how well they manage other responsibilities.
    Corporations now do credit checks on employees they are considering for hire.
    I would never want to sleep with a guy who never pays his bills on time and did not have some money in the bank.
    There is no such thing as a free lunch, anymore.
    Good luck.

     
  • At 8:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dump her immediately, if touching her breasts gives her the "right" to look at your bank statements then she's just a common Ho, 'nuff said.

     
  • At 10:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was brought up to never look in a woman’s purse or pocket book without permission. I expect the same of a person whom I am dating. Let’s also consider that people who have money don't keep it in the bank earning 3% interest. Those funds are invested in other areas where returns are better so looking at a bank statement for the purposes of accessing persons net worth or financial stability is naive'

     
  • At 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cass, her looking at your personal financial information is totally rude and sickens me quite frankly. Watch out for this one, maybe just keep her around for sex if she's that good looking. She doesn't deserve to be treated any better than that.

     
  • At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Although noone has a right to route through anyone's things--full disclosure on everything--including financials is a must in a serious relationship. She should be able to ask you about your financial status and get straight answers about anything if you are in a serious sexual relationship.

    What does that have to do with her breasts? It has to do with sex period. Men seem to forget that it is women who take on all of the responsibility when it comes to sex at the end of the day. If she gets pregnant--Do you have the responsibility and character to help pay for the bills for a child's lifetime? Or are you going to stick her with that responsibility? Or worse yet--force her to make a decision (abortion) that she doesn't want to make--because you aren't responsible?

    So guys--sex isn't just about playing with breasts--There are real life consequences to your actions.

    How do I know? I've been there. It happened to me. I had to abort a baby that I didn't want to abort because I happened to be dating a fiscally irresponsible male who also didn't want to take co-financial responsibility in raising a child...I have to live with that decision for the rest of my life.

    So yes--financials are indirectly connected to breasts. Sex isn't a frivolous sport without consequences--although many men treat it (and women) as if it is...especially in New York.

     
  • At 2:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You must have an interesting bank statement.

     
  • At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Financials are your business only, unless, you are married! If she uses poor etiquette here, think about the way she would act in more important situations. Get rid of her and move one, you are much to classy to be associated with her!

     
  • At 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    She was curious I don't blame her, not that I would ever do that but,it just shows that she's after something else other than your good looks. :)

     
  • At 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cass,

    One has nothing to do with the other. There're not even logically comparable (human physiology and finance aren't exactly the same). Besides, she has no right to look into your finances without your permission, under any circumstances.

    Here's what you should tell her, to be fair, she can have access to your "Johnson" at will. See, that's a fair trade :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home